New Release with Review: The Opposite of You by Rachel Higginson

March 30, 2017


I’ve sworn off men. 

All men. 

Famous last words, right? You’re expecting some epic tale of reluctant love and my dramatic change of heart? Well, you’re not going to get it. 

I’m stubborn. And headstrong. And I’ve just survived the worst three years of my life. After escaping an abusive boyfriend to live in hostels and cheap hotels while I worked my way across Europe, I’ve come to two conclusions. 

The first? Now that I’m back home, I’m going to squander my expensive culinary degree on a food truck that caters to the late night drunk crowd. 

The second? I’m going to prove to the bastard across the plaza that my street food is better than his fussy five course monstrosities.

Killian Quinn might be Food and Wine’s Chef to Watch Out For. He might have a Michelin Star. He might have every food critic in the city wrapped around his too-large fingers. But he’s also pretentious and unbearably arrogant and the very opposite of me. 

So he can keep his unsolicited advice and his late night visits and his cocky smiles. I want none of it. Or him. 

I want the opposite.






⭐⭐⭐4 “Hold The Salt” Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As readers and reviewers, we strive to get to that book that’s going to make us fall in love with these unattainable characters and keep us so intrigued, we forgo everything that will be a disturbance to our reading time. So when I was introduced to two characters that made me want to stay in their world just a little bit longer, I knew this was going to be the perfect read for me and I’m glad I took a chance on this story. 

“You’re all mystery, Vera. Half-truths and bold statements, but you hide everything about you. 

Vera has been through her fair share of heartbreak to last a lifetime. Deciding to start over, she’s now back in her home town gearing up for her new venture. Becoming a Chef has always been a dream of hers but one decision drew that dream to a screeching halt. So how do you move on from something like that ? You start your own business of course and make it in the form of a food truck. If that’s not the best idea you’ve ever heard, you’re obviously not normal. 

They say opposites attract and that statement has never been more true especially when Vera meets the famous world renowned Chef and stubborn extraordinaire Killian Quinn. Swearing off men completely, Vera has made it her mission to avoid the opposite sex and focus on her business entirely. But when you have a tattooed up bearded Chef that knows he’s the sh*t, you know you’re going to be in some DEEP trouble.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Will these two be able to survive their own business without killing each other?

“I hate you almost as much as I hate salt.”

His lips twitched with an almost smile.

“You don’t hate salt.” He stepped closer. “And you really don’t hate me.” 


I absolutely loved Killian and Vera’s dynamic together. These two brought out the best in each other and it showed through their work in the kitchen. They were inspired by each other’s creations, their chemistry was undeniable, and their banter was down right hilarious. Seeing that side of Killian was one of the highlights for me and I secretly wished that we could’ve gotten more of that from him and his POV. He was the epitome of a bad a**in the kitchen and I reveled in his softer side when it came to Vera. 

Now my favorite thing about this story was by far the setting. I loved seeing Killian and Vera come up with their own signature dishes and how they developed a friendship first before anything else. Killian was very patient when it came to giving Vera the space that she needed and I liked the fact that he always encouraged her. If you’re looking for a completely different story that’s going to inspire you and make you dream big, Killian and Vera’s story is for you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Rachel Higginson is the best-selling author of The Five Stages of Falling in Love, Every Wrong Reason, Bet on Us and The Star-Crossed Series.

She was born and raised in Nebraska, and spent her college years traveling the world. She fell in love with Eastern Europe, Paris, Indian Food and the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka, but came back home to marry her high school sweetheart. Now she spends her days writing stories and raising five amazing kids.






Post a Comment