REVIEW: DISTRACTION by Laura Clark

November 30, 2015

Seventeen-near-old, Laila Patterson, would never describe her heart as fickle. She understands the difference between reality and fantasy, which is why Sam Woodson is not realistic boyfriend material. After all, he is in college, and college boys simply do not date high school girls. Plus, he is Laila’s older brother’s best friend. According to the unspoken bro-code, messing around with your friend’s little sister is pretty high on the list of forbidden taboos. What happens when Laila discovers that her secret crush on Sam isn’t quite so one-sided? What if the only way to keep him is to keep their relationship hush-hush? Is Sam worth all of the lying and sneaking around? As if things weren’t confusing enough with Sam, an old family friend suddenly shows up after being gone for more than three years. She isn't expecting Trevor Maddox to move back to Westbrook. She isn't expecting him to attend her high school, and she certainly isn't expecting him to be sodamned gorgeous. Laila doesn't want or need this unexpected distraction. . . or does she? 

First of all, I have to get it out in the open. I'm so sorry Laura but the start was not gripping in any way, shape, or form. But I guess because it's YA, the heroine is supposed to be this insecure little girl spying on the gorgeous women. Well anyway, it's so depressing that I wasn't taken by this book with the start. Maybe try and improve on the beginning?
During the party at Laila's house, I can't help but think to myself how Laila is such a huge flirt! She's looking and staring at Trevor but then again, she's stuttering and freezing when she encounters Sam. I mean, really? Does she have to be so head over heels for the two of them already? So maybe this is how the love triangle/square/hexagon actually begins. But maybe Laila could have held it better.
Another problem I have with the heroine, Laila, is she describes how boys are always ogling her and looking at her like they want her so badly. Come on, does every girl do that? I mean, I've had my fair share of assumptions about boys looking at me like they want something I'm not ready to give but I don't have it for just everybody. Really now?
And also, she's so perceptive towards the actions, eye contacts, and small words that sometimes I can't help but think how maybe she's just imagining things that aren't even really there. She just plainly assumed that Sam and Trevor are both getting jealous at each other. I think it's natural for girls to make something out of nothing, but in a book, I don't really think it's admirable to put it out there rather than let the reader perceive it for him/herself.
But this book is not all that bad. I really loved the part when Laila was bawling because Sam went on a double date with a friend of his best friend's girlfriend. She was hurting so bad that you were hurting right along with her. The situation was very real, the emotions were very raw, and it was so relatable. When you're in a secret relationship, you can't help but feel sad for Laila because you know it could also happen to you at anytime.
I also fell for the hero (if Sam is the hero and not Trevor) when she "took" Laila out on a restaurant date in their own home. I mean, who does that?! Not even my boyfriend did that for me. It was so sweet, so swoon-worthy that I didn't even care how predictable it was or how far from reality it is. I just loved, loved, loved the idea that some guy would do that for a girl he likes.
I got so confused during the part when Georgia came over and Laila wasn't wearing anything under Kyle's shirt that she used as a cover up. It was told that she and Sam were running around, playing like kids and suddenly Georgia came and she saw them playing. Being a girl, I couldn't imagine running around without having anything to support my twins. In reality, I would have went up and changed into another bikini top. I just didn't understand why Laila chose to hang even if she didn't have a bikini top??!!
AND REALLY, THE ENDING?! I don't even know if I want to read the next book based on the first one and the preview in the last part of the book. I'm so sad. I tried to love it, really. But I guess it all boils down to it's YA, very much so that it has become that book that you have to convince and reassure yourself every time that it's not necessarily a bad book, it's just too YA. Maybe I'm ranting really because I forgot how it is to be in HS and how it felt like to be in Laila's shoes.

Post a Comment