REVIEW: BEAUTIFUL DISASTER by Jamie McGuire.

May 26, 2015


11505797

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.



The book that started it all...

BEWARE THAT THIS WAS THE FIRST NEW ADULT BOOK I´VE EVER READ. 
It was 2013 and I didn't even know what NA was. I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time, and I loved it. I'm forever biased because of this, it will always have a special place in my heart.
I read it in one sitting and went to bed really late because I couldn't put it down, I was that engrossed in the story and the romance! Jamie McGuire's writing is ADDICTIVE.
“You know why I want you? I didn’t know I was lost until you found me. I didn’t know what alone was until the first night I spent without you in my bed. You’re the one thing I’ve got right. You’re what I’ve been waiting for, Pigeon.”

“I need to hear you say it. I need to know you’re mine.”
“I’ve been yours since the second we met.”

“I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”

The relationship it felt to me that grew at a realistic pace. They got to know each other and were friends before they fell in love. They cared about each other, Abby didn't want Trav driving his bike drunk (even when he had just had sex with a girl and she heard him!) and he always watched Abby's back and wanted her to have everything. Travis was so sweet with her, so charming.
The relationship didn't feel abusive to me, though at times it was destructive but because they were fighting their feelings.
Abby did sometimes got on my nerves, but not the point where I hated her, just felt mad at her. She was so proud, I wanted to hit her! I understood where she came from though.
The dialogue was fluid, and there were parts where I was giggling and squealing so much.
I cared about the characters, I felt everything alongside them.


“He scanned my face with careful hope in his eyes.
“You love me?”
“It’s the tattoos,” I shrugged.
A wide smile stretched across his face, making his
dimple sink into his cheek.”

“I don't get scared very often," he said finally. "I was scared the first morning I woke up and you weren't here. I was scared when you left me after Vegas. I was scared when I thought I was going to have to tell my dad that Trent had died in that building. But when I saw you across the flames in the basement...I was terrified. I made it to the door, was a few feet from the exit, and I couldn't leave.
"What do you mean? Are you crazy?" I said, my head jerking up to look into his eyes.
"I've never been so clear about anything in my life. I turned around, made my way to that room you were in, and there you were. Nothing else mattered. I didn't even know if we would make it out or not, I just wanted to be where you were, whatever that meant. The only thing I'm afraid of is a life without you, Pigeon."
I leaned up, kissing his lips tenderly. When our mouths parted, I smiled. "Then you have nothing to be afraid of. We're forever.”

“I belong to my beloved, and my beloved is mine.”



Post a Comment